MacLachlan College is an independent (Pre-K to Grade 12) co-educational school in Oakville, Ontario. We employ teachers who hold a university degree, Ontario Teaching Certification and are members in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers. Our faculty is a vibrant, highly-qualified, multi-talented and dedicated team. Chosen not only for the high calibre of their teaching credentials, our teachers possess personal and professional qualities that contribute to the level of excellence and dynamic energy of the education we offer at MacLachlan. Many teachers possess specialties, which are applied at both the Lower and Upper School levels.
MacLachlan is a supportive, collaborative community and exceptional workplace dedicated to providing academic excellence to our students and opportunities to our staff to maximize their potential as educators and mentors. We have a strong co-curricular emphasis and a global focus inspired by our Advanced Placement courses and International Baccalaureate programme. We value professional development for our teachers and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
MacLachlan invites applications for the following positions:
Primary Years Programme Homeroom Teacher (Grades 4-6) – 3 positions total
(Maternity Placements for part of the 2019/2020 school year)
Commencing late August, 2019
MacLachlan College is looking to fill three homeroom teacher positions in grades 4-6, covering a series of long-term occasional positions for varying lengths of time. The successful candidate will bring a thoughtful, hands-on approach to the classroom that actively engages the students and develops them as critical thinkers and problem solvers. Homeroom teachers are responsible for teaching the core subjects within the IB PYP framework, an inquiry-led, transdisciplinary model that places the student at the centre of the learning. Our teachers are responsible for curriculum planning, instruction, and assessment for the courses that they teach, and also fulfill their homeroom teacher responsibilities. Some additional responsibilities may also be assigned as part of the teacher’s duties.
Position Expectations: The ideal candidate will…
• Utilize a variety of teaching and learning strategies to facilitate student success.
• Use a variety of assessment strategies, both formal and informal, to monitor and report on student learning.
• Exhibit strong, positive classroom management skills with a focus on building classroom community and ensuring student learning.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues, co-plan with grade partner and PYP coordinator, attend meetings and be a part of the PYP Teacher Team.
• Adhere to the IB PYP philosophy and curriculum framework and apply it with fidelity to classroom practices.
• Follow the practices and policies outlined in the MacLachlan College Teacher handbook.
• Be willing to make modifications and accommodations as necessary to support ELLs, students with ILPs, gifted students, etc.
• Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills with students, parents and colleagues alike.
• Display initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to participate in all aspects of faculty life at MacLachlan College.
• Have a positive attitude and be willing to grow their professional practice by engaging in professional development initiatives.
• Have strong organizational and time management skills, and a proven ability to craft and adhere to deadlines on small and large scales.
Position Qualifications & Abilities: The ideal candidate has…
• An Ontario Teaching Certificate (Good Standing)
• Primary/Junior or Junior/Intermediate qualifications
• Prior experience teaching the Ontario Curriculum and/or grades 4, 5 or 6
• Considerable knowledge of the “Growing Success” assessment policy document
• Training in the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme
• Familiarity with SMARTBoard, iPad technology and Atlas Rubicon curriculum mapping
• Prior experience in Health & Physical Education, LEGO Robotics or Visual Arts (will be an asset)
• Experience in coaching, clubs or other co-curricular activities
Applications should be emailed to Michael Piening, Head of School at email@example.com
by Wednesday, June 12, 2019 and should include a letter of interest, resume that contains your OCT or equivalent certifications and references. As a condition of employment, a Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required. We thank all candidates in advance. Please note, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MacLachlan College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request we will accommodate individual needs for applicants under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act during the selection process.
MacLachlan College also posts job opportunities at CIS